Robert E. McLaughlin II, MD
Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. McLaughlin is a board-certified Orthopedic surgeon, skilled in all types of orthopedic issues and conditions. He has been long recognized as a leader in the field of Orthopedic surgery, developing a sub-specialty in treating shoulder and knee injuries.
Dr. McLaughlin earned his undergraduate degree from The University of Virginia, graduating with academic distinction as an Echols Scholar. He spent his junior year studying Spanish language and history in Valencia, Spain, returning after graduation for an additional year, teaching English in Barcelona.
He returned to Charlottesville, earning a medical degree from The University of Virginia School of Medicine.
Dr. McLaughlin completed his General Surgery Internship at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. He went on to complete his Orthopedic Surgery residency training at the world-renown Rothman Institute in Philadelphia under the guidance of Dr. Richard Rothman, a true pioneer in improving the quality and delivery of Orthopedic care.
Dr. McLaughlin went on to a fellowship in shoulder surgery and sports medicine at the Mississippi Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Center with Dr. Felix “Buddy” Savoie. Dr. Savoie is widely regarded as one of the most talented upper extremity surgeons in the United States, is the past president of the Arthroscopy Association of North America and current president of The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
Dr. McLaughlin provides exceptional care across a wide variety of Orthopedic conditions and has over 25 years of surgical experience.
Dr. McLaughlin is an inventor, a teacher, an industry pioneer who prides himself is taking the best care of every patient, every time.
Awards & Affiliations
- Top Doc Boston has recognized him as a leading orthopedic surgeon in Boston.
- Best Doctors has named him as one of their exceptional surgeons in the Boston area.
- Dr. McLaughlin has treated numerous professional athletes and Division I college players. They have trusted Dr. McLaughlin to get them back to the top of their game.
- Dr. McLaughlin was chosen by the German Arthroscopy Association to host a group of traveling fellows from Germany. For many years, until the program ended, three young Orthopedic surgeons from German speaking countries were chosen to travel the United States for a month. They would spend two to three days with various surgeons from around the country to learn new and innovative arthroscopic techniques. Dr. McLaughlin was one of ten surgeons chosen to participate in the program.
- Dr. McLaughlin has been chosen to teach his surgical techniques to other surgeons from around the world. Orthopedic surgeons from Asia and South America have traveled to the United States to observe Dr. McLaughlin in the operating room. They spend a few days with Dr. McLaughlin, bringing innovative surgical techniques back to their home countries.
- Dr. McLaughlin has also served as a master instructor for the Arthroscopy Association of North America, teaching surgical courses to other Orthopedic surgeons from around the United States. He also served on the International Committee for the association.
- Dr. McLaughlin is the principal inventor of the Knotilus™ surgical anchor system. Knotilus™ is a surgical anchor that is used to repair shoulder instability, rotator cuff tears, knee and ankle injuries. Dr. McLaughlin has been awarded multiple US patents for Knotilus™ and the anchor system is distributed worldwide by Stryker Orthopedics.
- He served as Medical Director of a startup Orthopedic device company, OR Medical Products. Ltd.
- Dr. McLaughlin is the proud President-Elect of the Irish-American Orthopedic Society, an organization that connects Irish Orthopedic Surgeons with their American colleagues.